Friday, July 4, 2014

Delirium (Pilot Review)

Delirium
Director : Rodrigo García
Starring : Emma Roberts, Gregg Sulking, Daren Kagasoff, Jeanine Mason, etc.
Based on : Lauren Oliver's Delirium
Release Date : June 20 2014
Running Time : 43 Minutes


Watch the Pilot | Buy the book on Book Depository

Ninety-five days, and then i'll be safe. I wonder whether the procedure will hurt. I want to get it over with. It's hard to be patient. It's hard not to be afraid while i'm still uncured, though so far the deliria hasn't touch me yet. Still, i worry. They say that in the old days, love drove people to madness. The deadliest of all things : It kills you both when you have it and don't.

Review

Before you start, i just wanted to tell you to be careful if you haven't read Delirium. I don't know if i'm going to spoil you or not. I'll be as quiet as i can but i'm going to compare the pilot with the book a bit. So i recommend you leave if you haven't read Delirium. A little side note, i've interviewed Lauren Oliver, the author Delirium! You can read it right here, i hope you enjoy it!

This pilot has mixed reviews. Some hate it, some love it. Me? I don't know. I'm like in the middle, i don't hate it, but on the other hand, i didn't love it either. 

This pilot was... like critics, i have a mixed feelings towards it. Some of it i really love, and some of it i disliked. I disliked it mostly because it's very confusing, if you haven't read the book- i mean, it's okay if you haven't read the book, it just defines you more when you read it. As i said, if you haven't read the book you'll maybe get confused for a second.

I don't know if i was wrong but aren't pilots, like, the first episode in a TV series? Or am i wrong? Or is it like the overall story of the TV series mixed into one episode? I didn't really get it when the credits rolled on. I thought it was going to be longer, i didn't expect to see the end at the pilot. I didn't expect to see 441 pages being translated into 43 minutes.

I know that i should trust the director, trust everyone who's working on the project but i just can't help it. Wait. or OR OR OR. Maybe i get it now, maybe they want to translate the whole trilogy to the TV series? I hope so! But if they were going to do that, delirium should've been translated into, like, 2 episodes? or 3?

Let's talk about the characters for a moment. So i love Lena. I really loved Emma Roberts as her, she'd done a decent acting and i'm proud of her. I pictured Lena in Delirium a bit more skinnier and just a little bit tiny, which is a bit horrible. But seeing this, i'm glad she doesn't look like the girl i pictured. 

The romance in here is a bit strange, but okay. It's like the type of romance that, like, love at first sight. I mean, Lena's okay, she's normal. But Alex on the other hand. I didn't remember there being a "love at first sight" in the book at all. The directors could have changed it like maybe into something more realistic but i'm okay.

I didn't really liked Alex in this movie. Not just because the first sight thing. He did a good acting, i can feel his emotion. But something was a little bit off. In the book, i can sensed his fear and his love and also his passion. In this pilot, he didn't grab me like the words do.

The other actors was fine, actually. I loved Hana and Julian! I ship them together and i'm so happy they've been paired up as a couple in this TV series. When Julian spied on her- i was laughing. And then Hana was like "What the heck?!" oh god. But i didn't really liked Julian's dad. He's calm in here, but then he just burst like a maniac. It's like he is scripted.

There are changes in this show. I didn't understand why. Like for instance, Lena's mom is the one who is imprisoned. I don't understand why did they changed it to her father. Why? But at some aspects i can understand. Like Alex get close to Lena because she is Conrad's daughter. It's good. I don't remember why Alex get close to Lena, it's been awhile since i read Delirium.

Did you guys notice the shaky camera? Well, i did! At times, it's shaking when it's moving. I mean, it's like an unprofessional cameramen was filming it. It was supposed to capture the scene beautifully but instead it's like there's an earthquake or something. I didn't like that.

There's some scenes where i was gaping. Like "You just not did that!" I mean, i have read the scenes but i'm still surprised because in this pilot, it's like they're more alive. It doesn't mean the Delirium book characters aren't alive, it's alive! But it's like the words danced between them. What i'm saying is Lena and Hana. The words moved.

It may take awhile to absorb the whole world, the current situation because we have to make a soft spot for we to sit and examine. If you've read Delirium, you already get it from the start. But maybe they just make the world hidden so they can explain it more on future episodes? But Fox didn't picked it up. *Grunts*

Last but not least, the ending. In the book, this scene was the highlight of the book. My heart was thumping and i was picturing a more crowded scene. The ending in this pilot didn't really like wow me, it's not as epic as in the book. I was picturing Lena more shocked and fear filled her eyes while Alex was just.. blood and standing frozen.

Overall i gave this pilot a THREE AND A HALF out of FIVE stars. In my number scale, i gave it 67 points. It was good, but it left me confused. I was starving for more and i need a sequel... sort of. But i can understand why Fox didn't picked it up. After watching this, i think i might reread Delirium, who knows?  

No comments:

Post a Comment