Friday, July 4, 2014

The Host (Movie Review)

The Host
Director : Andrew Niccol
Starring : Saoirse Ronan, Max Irons, Jake Abel, etc.
Based on : Stephenie Meyer's The Host
Production Company : Nick Wechsler Productions
Release Date : March 29 2013
Running Time : 125 Minutes
Genre : Science Fiction, Romance



From Stephenie Meyer (author of The Twilight Saga) comes The Host, a love story set in the future, where Earth is occupied by a species who erase the minds of their human hosts, leaving their bodies intact. Melanie Stryder (Saoirse Ronan) is one of the last surviving humans who fight back, risking her life for the people she cares about most - Jared (Max Irons), Ian (Jake Abel), her brother Jamie (Chandler Canterbury) and her Uncle Jeb (William Hurt) - Proving that love can conquer all.

Review 

Before starting, i just wanted to say that i haven't read the book that its based from, The Host by Stephenie Meyer. So i watch this movie blind, i didn't know what was going to happen. So i can't compare it with the actual book, which is bummer. Almost everyone has recommend the book to me and i was going to pick it up, but after seeing the pages... the size of that book is HUGE. I was intimidated by it. So i decided not to pick it up.

But after watching this movie, i can see myself reading it. And i'm actually excited for it.

Now let's start reviewing the movie. I really enjoyed it. It's not my favourite movie of all time, Catching Fire already taken the throne. But i think The Host will have a special place in my heart. Not to be cheesy or anything, but it's a good movie.

But was it a good book-to-movie adaptation? We'll see when i already read The Host. Right now, i have really high expectation for the book. I mean, some fans that loved the book didn't like the movie, so i'm expecting something bigger and better. Sometimes it's dangerous when a book has really high expectations for me, if it doesn't make the count, i'll be very disappointed.

Like movies that are based from the book, i really liked it. I don't know why, but almost all of the movies that are based from books, i enjoyed it and it deserves a top ten on my list. Maybe because it have some kind of vibe to it? But, like, Transformers 4 (which was really good!) didn't beat The Host. I know maybe for some of you i might sound a little crazy- okay, a lot crazy, but it's true. I loved The Host more than Transformers 4.

I don't know. Movies like that has some weird patterns on it that made me really love it. Maybe because of my love of books, that's why i have strong feelings for it. The Host is not an exception.

The aspects that really stand out for me was the characters. Yup, the characters. I was attached to them throughout the movie, even though there's some characters i didn't care about. A.k.a Jared. But for the ones i did have... i just realized that i only care about 6 peoples. Umm. But for the ones i did care, my feelings to them was very strong. Everytime- even a threat that something was going to happen to them i was instantly panicked.

My favourite is definitely Wanda whose real name is Wanderer. Even though she's stuck on Melanie's body, you just can't help but to love her. Her feelings, the ay she handle things and stuff like that. I really liked her. The second is probably Ian. His love towards Wanda just make me like him. If he doesn't love Wanda, he'll probably didn't get the second best.

There's some funny scenes in this movie, only some of them made me smile, i didn't crack up or anything, just smiled like it was very entertaining. It could have done better to it, i could have laugh but i just didn't.

The romance in this movie is very enjoyable but i think it's too much. Too much make out and kissing. They could erase some of it and changed it to something. As you all know probably, i really liked Wanda and Ian's relationship. They just bloomed from a little seed. I really LOVED the early part when they met, i was like whistling. And- ugh. I just can't explain it by words. When Ian looked at her at the farm and she looked back, oh god.

The bad lady in this movie was very interesting. I don't want to spoil you, but it was very interesting. At first, i didn't know who she was and was like staring at her "What are you doing here? Just get out, please." but then her role became very big.

Speaking of which, the beginning was very confusing. It's like those moments where there's a scene and we viewers just got in on the middle. I was like "Huh?" and then i was like "Wha?" but it was fine, almost all movies are like that, we were adjusting to the story. But thank god i catch up very fast, my sister was like still confused.

They could've put more action to it. Like, i am attached to the characters, i don't want something to happen to them but they could've put in more. But this movie is not action, so i can understand. And some of the scenes was a bit predictable. Not like exactly what i think would happen happens, but i already got the point of what would happen.

Overall i gave this movie FOUR AND A HALF out of FIVE stars. In my number scale, i gave it a 88 points. Honestly, i really enjoyed it. I don't know why the critics gave this movie a super low rating. I don't know if it's a good book-to-movie adaptations, but i'm looking forward to knowing it. I think this movie is a good stand-alone, it doesn't have to have a sequel, but either way i would be happy of what they choose.

No comments:

Post a Comment