Sunday, July 6, 2014

Lola and the Boy Next Door by Stephanie Perkins (Book Review)

Lola and the Boy Next Door
Author : Stephanie Perkins
Series : Anna and the French Kiss #2
Pub Date : September 29th 2011
Publishers : Dutton
Genre : Romance, Contemporary
Pages : 338

Add it in Goodreads | Buy it on Book Depository

Budding designer Lola Nolan doesn't believe in fashion... she believes in costume. The more expressive the outfit--more sparkly, more fun, more wild--the better. But even though Lola's style is outrages, she's a devoted daughter and friend with some big plans for the future. And everything is pretty perfect (right down to her hot rocker boyfriend) until the dreaded Bell twins, Calliope and Cricket, return to the neighborhood.
When Cricket--a gifted inventor--steps out from his twin sister's shadow and back into Lola's life, she must finally reconcile a lifetime of feelings for the boy next door.

Review
I just can't stop loving Stephanie Perkins's works! This book definitely reached my expectations, way reached my expectations! The familiar awkwardness and the love was so epic and adorable, i cannot put this book down. I read and read and read and i'm satisfied! This book is really satisfying for a companion novel.

Why can't Isla come soooonnnerr? I NEED IT. I NEED THE LOVE AND THE CUTESY AND THE WHATNOW. Even though i'm satisfied with the story, i need more of Stephanie Perkins. 

You guys who haven't read any of Stephanie Perkins book might be surprised. You might think that we fans are crazy for her and we just can't stop. But once you read it, it's like a drug... but in a good way, which is kind if confusing. This series is very addicting, very addicting.

The characters here is very unique, in some ways. The parents, the neighbors, the main character is very unique. And i love that. What really stands out in this book for me is, maybe, the character's background story. Their past is very interesting. It's like a book where they have to go through the future, with their past beside them. So it was very entertaining to see how she have to solve all this problems and just wow. 

WAIT, i forgot to tell you! Anna and St. Clair has a role in this book! Which is super exciting to meet familiar faces that i really loved. It's good to see them, even though i can't really see them, just on my mind. It's good to hear them, although i can't really hear them, just read their dialogues and you just get that warmth feeling when they're around.

My favourite character here is probably... Cricket? Sorry Lola but Cricket is just loveable and very sweet, it's like he would do anything for her and his family, he's so patient and smart. Lola is great too but sometimes i don't understand why she did that, like Cricket is the one not Max!

At first, i didn't like Lola because i thought she's like a super girly girl. But nope, she's not that and very different from that.. i think. And i thought Cricket is like those boys who likes playing pranks and very humoristic at the same time. But again, i was wrong.

I think i didn't hate anyone here... except for Max. I mean, some characters has a bad background but in the end, they're all good though. I ended up loving them too, like Calliope and Norah. There's some characters that i'm okay with, but aside from Max, i think there's none that i hate.

The character development here is pretty good too. And also the message of this story is very good too. I like how Stephanie Perkins put in messages to us in hints of paragraph. In this book, i learn to be myself and about facing the truth and that good stuff. 

There's quote that you just have to gush. Many times this book made me laugh and many times this book made me just gush so loudly and put a smile on my face! I'm serious, at some parts, I MELTED. Right, melted. Because of the cutesy and the epic romance and ughhhhh. 

The cover is fantastical. I can only say this : Good job, publishing companies. I liked this more than Anna's cover. I just really liked the colour scheme and the star in this book. If you've read the book, you will look at the star differently. And the San Francisco's bridge, which i really adore. But the colour scheme, though, that's my favourite. 

You may think that i'm not that energised as i did when i talk about Anna and the French Kiss. I do love this book, actually. But i don't want to repeat what i said in Anna to this review. If i didn't care for that, i would have probably copy paste Anna and put it in here. I'm trying to be productive and it's difficult. 

Do i like Lola more than Anna? Hmm... tough question. I loved them both and i enjoyed them and i also adore them. They are beautiful and graceful, it's like they danced in each story, a spectacular dance which you just can't help but enjoy. But i think (REGRETTING SAYING THIS.) i liked Anna more than Lola.

I can't freaking believe i just said that.

BUT I STILL HIGHLY, HIGHLY RECOMMEND THIS BOOK. Its as good as Anna, but i think Anna has more of the feels. I mean, Lola has the feels too, don't get me wrong, but Anna is just- WHY IS THIS SO FREAKING HARD TO EXPLAIN THIS. Anna just got a few points more than this book because of some reasons.

If you have read my review of Anna and the French Kiss, you know that i got this weird buzz when the characters talked or do or- the point is that i got a buzz. In this book, i didn't felt that buzz at all. Lola has more cutesy moments than Anna but Anna has more of the serious moments, but only a slight though. They both tied on awkward moments, which i'm really grateful.

Lola at first was very slow because i missed Anna and her friends and her mind. Not that slow, but slow enough. I'm so glad that i keep reading this book because the story really picks up on after that and, again, i can't stop reading it! I've grown very comfortable after that. But when i read Anna, it picks up at the first moment.

And Anna is more realistic too, at least for me. Anna focuses more on, like, the school. The awkward school moments while Lola focuses on the neighborhood. I'm not that active at neighborhoods, my neighbors are not a teen girl. So i can't relate to that. But Anna is like school moments and i CAN relate to that. But i still love this book, very.

Overall i gave this book a FIVE out of FIVE stars. Even though i loved Anna a bit more, this book deserve the hype and i personally really enjoyed this book. In my number scale, i give this book 94 points. Again, still HIGHLY recommend this book, and also this series. You have to read soon, though, because Isla will come at August which i'm very excited! Hopefully it will be out on my bookstore the same day it'll be released. If not, i'll be furious. Because this series is phenomenal.  

No comments:

Post a Comment